First, do you know what a mudroom is? I only ask that because I had no idea the first time I heard the word mudroom. Of course when it was explained, it made perfect sense, and now that I knew what it was, I remembered that I had always wanted one. To have a specific area for those heavy jackets, soiled shoes and other things that dragged in off the streets with you seemed to be golden. That was when I had to figure out how to even create one, a nice one.
I did a lot of research looking into the best way to go about creating this magical and functional mudroom for my home. I realized there are a few steps to make the process easy while planning out and executing this type of project.
Here are 5 easy steps to create the perfect mudroom:
(1) Figure out what you need in terms of storage. There are many factors when looking into what you need. Things like what are essential to have, what do you use more often, what is seasonally there? Knowing the answers to these questions will help you know what you need.
(2) Study your current storage location. To know what you need, you need to know what you already have. Move everything that is already in the space out and really look at what you have to work with.
(3) Time to plan it out. Since you know what you need and what you have, now it’s time to see what you need to add. Measure the spaces where you may want to add a closet rod, hooks, a mirror, organizers… think about how to use the space most efficiently for what you need.
(4) Time to buy and set it up. Go get what you need. If you decided on a mirror. Go get it. If you want those organizers, go shopping for the ones that fit. When you are done spending the money (and you can buy online or from thrift stores. Shop smart!), it’s time to set up everything in the space to see how everything fits.
(5) Add your things. Once everything is in place, all it needs now is your things. So, put everything back in. Organize, lay out, and try your new pieces in the space.
After that, all you need to do is sit back and look at what you have accomplished. If there are any tweaks or needed pieces, do whatever you need to and get that place as comfortable, functional and efficient as you can. And of course, have fun with it. Doi.