Surviving A Terrorist Attack:
In the wake of the influx of terror attacks in the West, counter-terror agents in the United Kingdom have issued advice for what to do when you encounter a gun or bomb attack. Currently the threat of international terrorism stands at severe, which means an attack is highly likely. British intelligence official highlight the seriousness of this threat. If you do find yourself in the situation, it would be beneficial to heed the advice of these government security professionals. They urge people to escape if possible and avoid playing dead in addition to other tips.
See below for more tips on how to behave to survive a terror attack.
British counter-terror officials issued the following advice on how to behave in a gun or bomb attack:
- Escape if you can
- Consider the safest options
- Is there a safe route? Run, if not hide
- Can you get there without exposing yourself to greater danger?
- Insist others leave with you
- Leave belongings behind
- If you can’t run, hide
- Find cover from gunfire
- If you can see the attacker, they may be able to see you
- Cover from view does not mean you are safe, bullets go through glass, brick, wood and metal
- Find cover from gunfire e.g. substantial brickwork/heavy reinforced walls
- Be aware of your exits
- Try not to get trapped
- Be quiet, silence your phone
- Lock/barricade yourself in
- Move away from the door
- Call 999: What do the police need to know?
- Location: Where are the suspects?
- Direction: Where did you last see the suspects
- Descriptions: Describe the attacker, numbers, features, clothing, weapons etc
- Further information: Casualties, type of injury, building information, entrances, exits, hostages etc
- Stop other people entering the building if it is safe to do so
Source: National Counter Terrorism Security Office (Nactso), November 2015
Because safety is paramount, it helps to be prepared for any possibly tragic situation. Being equipped with the advice on how to survive a terror attack is similar to having fire drills to prepare for an actual fire. We’re experiencing more violent and deadly attacks each day and we certainly have not seen the last. Tips like these will possibly become required knowledge because our safety and peace is continuing to be challenged by those that wish us harm. Follow and practice this advice now to be prepared and survive a terror attack.