Buying gifts for mom can be a bittersweet process. After all, you definitely want only the best for the most important woman in your life. However, intentions aren’t enough; often times, choosing an appropriate gift that your mother will appreciate can be difficult. They’ve given you the gift of life, so everything obviously pales in comparison. Also, mothers know best, but their children often don’t, especially when it comes to identifying mom’s personal interests and hobbies.
It’s therefore a good idea to start by identifying your mother’s favorite things and hobbies. Some moms are into arts and crafts; others love gadgets. Maybe your mom is into cooking and baking. Based on this information, you can now decide on what gift to get for her, and ensure that she’ll enjoy and benefit from it.
Here are a few great ideas for gifts on Mother’s Day:
1. A skin care pampering set. Mothers are always very busy, and so a great set of bath and body products that aid their relaxation can be really useful. Moms do need to take a break and spend some “me” time occasionally, so a set of products (including bath gels, lotions, bath salts, etc.) that soothe and pamper the body can be a wonderful and practical gift. Some relaxing scents to consider are lavender and chamomile.
2. Cooking classes. Moms and homemade meals go hand in hand, but perhaps your mom fancies learning more about the fine art of cuisine. Enroll her in cooking classes at the local academy and watch as mom transforms from kitchen newbie to domestic diva.
3. A tablet. Techie moms will definitely appreciate a tablet; it’s as multi-functional as moms are notorious in multi-tasking. The great thing about tablets is that they offer the dual purpose of fun and function. Moms can keep track of their social connections online, read the latest e-book, download recipes, and – of course – kick back and relax with a few fun games.
4. Personalized jewelry. A pendant of her initial or birthstone can be a beautiful gift that mom will definitely appreciate. “Jewelry” doesn’t always have to refer to expensive stones – the personalization makes it a lot more unique and beautiful, without having to break the bank.
5. Greeting card. Speaking of personalization, there’s nothing mom appreciates more than heartfelt words. Often times, moms get taken for granted and their children don’t take time out to really let them know how they feel. To create a unique greeting card, use a greeting card software. You can create your own design using your personal family photos, and then add a heartfelt message that will let mom know exactly how grateful and happy you are to have her in your life.
James Yuki is a staff writer at NYCMagazine.com, an online publication about the New York City. He is responsible for the site’s popular NYC Guide.