Central America hadn’t received a lot of attention in the past among the traveler community. Fortunately, a lot of travelers are starting to notice all the amazing destinations that the countries of the region have to offer.
Here are 12 reasons to visit Central America:
1. Arenal, Costa Rica – One of the most active volcanoes in the world, with a huge, man-made lake right in front of it and tons of luxurious hotels with amazing views.
2. Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica – Here you will find gorgeous beaches surrounded by lush forests filled with exotic wildlife and luxurious accommodations.
3. Antigua, Guatemala – This is just a tiny city that still has a colonial style. It is a beautiful, relaxed, romantic place, located among volcanoes, packed with great restaurants and hotels.
4. Tikal, Guatemala – This is a national park that protects the ruins of what once was one of the largest Mayan cities that ever existed. It is also a great place for wildlife watching.
5. Copan, Honduras – This is another Mayan Archaeological site. What makes it special is that in in, the most important and better preserved stelas where found.
6. Bay Islands, Honduras – These are a series of small islands located in the middle of a coral reef. It is also one of the best sports for diving and snorkeling of the region.
7. Granada, Nicaragua – This is one of the largest cities of the country. But it still keeps a relaxed feel to it. It is right next to the largest lake in Central America.
8. Ometepe, Nicaragua – This is an island formed by two volcanoes, right in the middle of Nicaragua Lake. There is a small population living in it, and a couple of good eco lodges.
9. Ambergris Caye, Belize – This is an island located in the Caribbean Sea, and in the middle of another coral reef. This is also a great place for diving, snorkeling and relaxing in the beach.
10. San Ignacio Belize – It is a place where you can also explore the jungles and the nearby Mayan ruins. You can also go on adventures in the Macal River.
11. Balsamo Coast, El Salvador – This is one of the best places in Central America for surfers. There are waves for all levels, and lots of places where you can rent equipment. If you want to learn there are many schools too.
12. Suchitoto, El Salvador – This is a small cowboy town that still keeps a lot of colonial style buildings. It is also right next to Suchitlan Lake.
If you are wondering about how to get in to these countries, don’t worry. Central American countries are not picky when it comes to visitors. Get in touch with the local consulate of the country you’d like to visit. I’m pretty sure they will be more than happy you give you a visa. Just make sure you have a valid passport.
So give Central America a chance. Its people and the beautiful natural wonders are waiting for you to visit.